If I had Michael Vick

A generic football forum all users can access. Not intended for fantasy league specific (WWFFL/CAFFL) posts. Use this forum for general NFL or fantasy football posts.

Moderators: wwffladmin, commish

Re: RE: If I had Michael Vick

Postby empire » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

tbirds wrote:
poets wrote:Hey, I agree. Vick is garbage and he does not deserve to play in the NFL. He needs to be sent to prison. If this involved you or I, we would be fucked. However, I know I can't throw a football 80 yards or run like a deer. This guy will play football again. You don't here anyone anymore talk about Kobe and the woman he raped. These guys feel that they are above the law, and in some cases I wonder if they really are.

I never thought Kobe was guilty. As the case progressed, more and more things came out to make that girl look like a farce - particularly the fact that she'd filed suits like that in the past. Maybe he got off because of a fast-talking legal dream team, who knows. Consensual sex with a (slightly) underage girl isn't in the same league as this though. Was she underage? I don't even remember the nuances of that case.

Agree 100% that Kobe was likely innocent of nothing more than poor morals and judgement. That woman (not underage) had gone after other famous men before. I think that Kobe was the 3rd or 4th celebrity that she filed rape charges against. She also had a long mental health history. She probably banged him, then got pissed when he threw her ass out the door after he was done.
1998, 2003, & 2004 Holy Roller Champion
2001, 2003, & 2004 CAFFL Champion
empire
All Pro

RE: Re: RE: If I had Michael Vick

Postby poets » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:02 pm

How about Moss running over a traffic officer and not stopping. How about Leonard Little killing someone after drunk driving. His Blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. He missed half a season without pay. He spent 90 days in jail. Since that time, he has received at least one other DUI. It's unbelievable the treatment they get. Sometimes I wonder why I even pay attention to professional sports.
poets
Rookie

Postby hammers » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Meh. I think this is being blown way out of proportion by the media because it's Michael Vick.
First, how are they going to prove he killed these dogs? Unless they have a videotape somewhere showing him doing these acts or some other empirical data (his fingerprints on the dogs entrails, etc) I don't see these charges sticking. They're likely just based on the testimony of some really shady characters who were running the daily operations of this place. Vicks defense should be able to discredit these thugs with little problem.
I don't see how he's going to get around the conspiracy charges though. Any way you slice it, this was being done on HIS property and legally it's his responsibility to know what's happening there. He'll likely get convicted of these charges, but he'll claim he was only involved "unknowingly". Big fine, tons of community service, a large donation to some animal rights group and a 4-6 week suspension for a first time conviction and he'll be back playing ball again. Someone mentioned the IRS who may also come after some of his $$$ if they can show he profited at all by this.
I get the sense the Falcons are already preparing to distance themselves from him for this season. It seems the trial will likely be going on during the regular season which means Vick won't be available during the year. I could see the Falcons putting him on some "leave of absence" for the year claiming it's in the best interest of Mike and the team for him to focus on his legal situation and leave the franchise to focus on football. If he gets off light, bring him back after his suspension next year. If he's found guilty as sin of these charges, I'm sure he'll be cut and the Falcons would likely go after some of his $$$ citing some morality clause.
I just love the ultimate irony of the Falcons committing to Vick this spring and trading away Schaub only to have this happen. Too funny.
And beating dogs is bad. Stay in school.

J
Hut, Hut, Hammers!

Championship Wins 2004, 2007, 2012, 2014, 2020
Championship Appearances 1999, 2001, 2010
Century Div Champion 2014, 2019
Red Div Champion 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012
Central Div Champion 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001
Wild Card 1995, 1998, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2023
hammers
Hall of Famer

Postby hammers » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:50 pm

I said it first.

hammers wrote:I could see the Falcons putting him on some "leave of absence" for the year claiming it's in the best interest of Mike and the team for him to focus on his legal situation and leave the franchise to focus on football.
Hut, Hut, Hammers!

Championship Wins 2004, 2007, 2012, 2014, 2020
Championship Appearances 1999, 2001, 2010
Century Div Champion 2014, 2019
Red Div Champion 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012
Central Div Champion 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001
Wild Card 1995, 1998, 2008, 2016, 2017, 2020, 2023
hammers
Hall of Famer

Postby tbirds » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 am

hammers wrote:First, how are they going to prove he killed these dogs? Unless they have a videotape somewhere showing him doing these acts or some other empirical data (his fingerprints on the dogs entrails, etc) I don't see these charges sticking. They're likely just based on the testimony of some really shady characters who were running the daily operations of this place. Vicks defense should be able to discredit these thugs with little problem.

Vick will face conspiracy charges which makes him just as liable as the "thugs" for their actions. If the defense discredits the thugs, they're discrediting Vick to the same degree.

It's a legal maneuver invented by RFK to fight organized crime.
"I think [Larry Fitzgerald] could be the next Rob Moore." - Karl Meszaros, 2004
tbirds
Hall of Famer

Postby tbirds » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:55 am

hammers wrote:I said it first.

hammers wrote:I could see the Falcons putting him on some "leave of absence" for the year claiming it's in the best interest of Mike and the team for him to focus on his legal situation and leave the franchise to focus on football.

Well, that was a no-brainer in the short-term.

We're talking long-term here. Odds are very good that he's getting a prison sentence. Assuming he'll be able to come back from a prison hiatus and reaffirm his role as an inaccurate passer who can't help his team succeed, what team would want him anyway?

I can't imagine anyone will be cheering for Michael Vick anytime in the foreseeable future.
tbirds
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: Re: RE: If I had Michael Vick

Postby tbirds » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:04 am

poets wrote:How about Moss running over a traffic officer and not stopping. How about Leonard Little killing someone after drunk driving. His Blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. He missed half a season without pay. He spent 90 days in jail. Since that time, he has received at least one other DUI. It's unbelievable the treatment they get. Sometimes I wonder why I even pay attention to professional sports.

Intent is the key. As much of an asshole as I'm sure Moss is, I'm pretty sure Moss knew he wasn't going to hurt the traffic officer. As much of a scumbag Little is, killing someone wasn't something he set out to do. Did he get off too light? Hell yeah he did - but his actions weren't pre-meditated. Criminally irresponsible, but not pre-meditated.

I saw the Delmon Young incident last year. As stupid and unsportsmanlike as it was to flip the bat at the umpire, there's no way you can put that in the same league as a grown man taking a helpless animal by the legs and slamming it to the ground until it died.
Last edited by tbirds on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbirds
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: If I had Michael Vick

Postby tbirds » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:07 am

empire wrote:Agree 100% that Kobe was likely innocent of nothing more than poor morals and judgement. That woman (not underage) had gone after other famous men before. I think that Kobe was the 3rd or 4th celebrity that she filed rape charges against. She also had a long mental health history. She probably banged him, then got pissed when he threw her ass out the door after he was done.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. When I heard she sued other high-profile people for the same thing, the case was instantly closed in my book.
tbirds
Hall of Famer

Postby poets » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:00 pm

Well, maybe Kobe's case had some holes in it. Although Kobe is married so he should not have been with that other woman anyway. What about Leoard Little? Some poor guy does not have a wife and their kid does not have a mother because of Leonard Little, but he is still playing. I am telling you, someone will pay Vick to play football again. People will forget all about the dog fighting if he makes his team a winner.
Last edited by poets on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
poets
Rookie

Postby poets » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:14 pm

Link: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7052 ... 3162&ATT=5

Clipped from the Jay Glazer article on msn.foxsports.com:

The first of what could be a handful of actions taken against Michael Vick by the commissioner's office has been decided.

FOXSports.com has learned that commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered the Atlanta Falcons quarterback not to attend the team's training camp as his first step in determining Vick's future in the league. That would give the league office more time to assess the facts and judge additional facts that may come to light in the next month.

This is just the first part of what could be an extensive punishment for Vick's
alleged involvement in a gruesome dogfighting operation.
poets
Rookie

Postby avengers » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Sweet. Joey Harrington in round 6 this year baby!!!

And to think everyone thought MARCUS Vick was the piece of shit...
2009 - Striving to end a Buffalo Bills-like string of futility!
avengers
Rookie

Postby locos » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 pm

Marcus Vick is a piece of shit. Problem is, everyone thought Mike Vick was decent. Apparently, "shit" runs in the Vick family.
locos
Rookie

Postby jedi » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 am

empire wrote:Sad but true. Unless he gets major time in prison (like several years), he'll be back in the NFL before long. IMO this is way worse than drugs, DUIs, cop-biting, stripper-punching, and maybe even Ray Lewis. Those guys involved in the Lewis incident on both sides were gun-toting thugs getting into fights in bars. Dogs are totally defenseless animals and planning to profit from their torture and death is really antisocial-type behavior. I'd like to see Vick sentenced to be chained to a pole with some hungry pit bulls. Seriously.

I would pay $49.99 to see this...
jedi
Cagey Veteran

Postby podunks » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:03 am

I think this is all a conspiracy by the Falcons management. They realized that they had significantly overpaid for Vick and had to do something to get this highly overrated QB off of their team without them having to remain beholden to the ridiculous contract. So now, Vick goes to jail, and the Falcons ask the NFL to not be obliged to count him against their salary cap.

Letting go of Matt Schaub was just a diversion.
2007 CAFFL CHAMP!
Podunks (have and) will (continue to) prevail!
podunks
Rookie

Previous

Return to Football