WOW!!!

A generic football forum all users can access. Not intended for fantasy league specific (WWFFL/CAFFL) posts. Use this forum for general NFL or fantasy football posts.

Moderators: wwffladmin, commish

WOW!!!

Postby waxx » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:30 pm

I must admit that I don't watch much college football... but HOLY HECK!! Some of these games this past week were awesome!!! Especially the Rose Bowl. Vince Young!! WHAT A FRICKING MAN!!!! I do believe we will see him taken before Leinhart. The dude is huge and he can throw with accuracy. I'll be looking for him come Fantasy Draft. And talk about class. THE MAN scored his TDs and convinced me that although I had never watched him before, I knew he had been there before. Plenty 'o' times and I am sure plenty 'o' times to come in the future.

And watching these premier linebackers gives me an urge for some IDP action in fantasy. I think I'll save that for a yahoo league, but just all so exciting!!!

I do believe I'll be watching a few more college games next year.
no need for a meltdown... there is always next week
waxx
Hall of Famer

Re: WOW!!!

Postby waxx » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:38 pm

waxx wrote:Vince Young!! WHAT A FRICKING MAN!!!! I do believe we will see him taken before Leinhart.

Like I said, I don't pay much attention to college so there is the question of whether or not Vince will enter the draft. I think he'd be silly not to after tonights game.
waxx
Hall of Famer

Postby empire » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 am

I think that Vince Young will indeed enter the draft this year, but am not so sure that he'll be taken ahead of Leinart. Young is a man among boys in college, but I wonder how long it will take him to adjust to the Pro game. An NFL drop back passing system is miles away from the sandlot "take-the-shotgun-snap-and-make something-happen" offense that Texas runs. Young probably has at least two years on the bench before h can even come close to starting in the NFL, while Leinart can be ready much sooner, and is a better passer at this point (although lacking the athletic ability, size, and arm strength of Young). I think that Leinart is still the first QB taken.
1998, 2003, & 2004 Holy Roller Champion
2001, 2003, & 2004 CAFFL Champion
empire
All Pro

Postby mafia » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:44 pm

lindale white too represented himself ..look at his season stats this year..not too shabby...that pen state game was mich fun to watch on a night off..if i had to work in the am..kinda late..but still a great win for joe pa...and two legendary coaches...the ND game...somebody please shoot me :cry: :cry:
mafia
Rookie

Postby poets » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:00 pm

I still think USC is the better team. However, there is no question who the best player on the field was yesterday. Young put on one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. He was quite impressive.
poets
Rookie

Postby mafia » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:13 am

:lol: yes vince was a man amongst boyz...but i do agree with john's assesment of the whole qb situation on the upcomming draft...didn't dan reeves pick a mobile qb with the first pick when in atlanta??...hmmmmmm..............................................now he's in houston apparently with influence......should be a plenty to talk about this off season as the mafia will rebuild yet again, and again...and again...well you get my angnst............. :oops: :oops: ..i hear priest is doing VERY well... :wink:
mafia
Rookie

Postby empire » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:26 pm

mafia wrote:lindale white too represented himself ..look at his season stats this year..not too shabby...

There are, IMO, four elite RBs coming out (or likely to be coming out this year). Bush, Williams, White, and Maroney all should be taken early on day one. Depending on where they land in the NFL, this class could have as much of an impact as last year's.
empire
All Pro

Postby mpfg » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:00 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if Young is moved to a different position in the NFL. He could be a scary possession receiver...yards after catch monster.
Um Ya Ya!
mpfg
Benchwarmer

Postby empire » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:59 am

mpfg wrote:I wouldn't be too surprised if Young is moved to a different position in the NFL. He could be a scary possession receiver...yards after catch monster.

I agree that he might be best at a hybrid WR/RB type position, but that would entail learning an entirely new position while also adjusting to the NFL game. I wonder if, in today's NFL, a coach who has to "win now" (as they all do) would be willing to wait through that learning process.

If more coaches were willing to "think outside of the box" the NFL would be a more exciting game. Imagine Michael Vick as a RB who throws the halfback run/pass option 10 times/game and gets 15 carries and 5 catches! With all of the great athletes playing QB in college these days, I often wonder about an NFL team returning to a varient of the old single-wing formation in which the halfback runs, hands-off, or throws, generally in that order. Imagine the defensive headaches that would arise from trying to contain a Vick or a Young in that type of offense.

Of course, the egos of the players involved would stand in the way: "What do you mean? I am a QB."
empire
All Pro

Postby waxx » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:20 am

I think a lot of owners and GMs are worried about putting their high priced athletic QBs in positions to get hurt. Of course as we saw yesterday, QBs that stand in the pocket can get pretty banged up as well.
waxx
Hall of Famer

Postby empire » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:38 am

Excellent point about the risk of injury, too. These guys are all multi-million dollar investments, as well as just players. Personally, though, I think that guys are more likely to get hurt in the process of throwing than they are running. When a QB is in the process of throwing, then he is focusing downfield and is not actively trying to make guys miss/protect himself. Guys like Vick are built like RBs and should be able to take the RB level of punishment.
empire
All Pro

Postby podunks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:46 am

empire wrote:I agree that he might be best at a hybrid WR/RB type position, but that would entail learning an entirely new position while also adjusting to the NFL game. I wonder if, in today's NFL, a coach who has to "win now" (as they all do) would be willing to wait through that learning process.

For exhibit "A," I give you Matt Jones. Looks like he's adjusting well enough.
2007 CAFFL CHAMP!
Podunks (have and) will (continue to) prevail!
podunks
Rookie

Postby empire » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:44 pm

Exhibit B, Antwaan Randle El. There are many others. It just takes time to make the adjustment; time is exactly what most coaches in position to take Young don't have.
empire
All Pro

Postby waxx » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:50 pm

I think the media circus plays a big part in GM/Coaches decisions. They just love to create their own stories. Let Vick be Vick they'll say, but as soon as he gets hurt, they'll question why the Coaches would let him scramble outside the pocket so much. I hate the media.
waxx
Hall of Famer

Postby mpfg » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:26 pm

There is little doubt that an adjustment would be required. But look at the quarterbacks like a McNabb or a Vick who have also had to make the change to a drop back passer in order to help create a balanced team offense. Both are great take off and run QB's but both took a lot of criticism for that immense ability too. But I agree regarding the reluctance to take that risk of going outside the box. The level of athleticism has by far outstripped the level of creativity in NFL offenses. The last great innovation being the run and gun, which has evolved into the spread, and even that wasn't all that original. Could you imagine a backfield of Young, Davis and Carr and Johnson on the outside in Houston. Even a minimally capable offensive line and they would be moving the ball at will because what could a defense key on?
Um Ya Ya!
mpfg
Benchwarmer

Next

Return to Football